Re: [linux-audio-user] 24-track setup question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 24-track setup question
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 14:44:06 EEST

--- Sebastian Stark <seb-lau_AT_todesplanet.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 11 July 2004 01:01, R Parker wrote:
> > Well...OK. I'd suggest subscribing to ardour-user@
> and
> > if you use IRC then visit #ardour on freenode.net.
>
> Ok.
>
> > Okay, I just
> > > thought it freezed or something so I restarted
> first
> > > ardour and then the
> > > whole computer. I can playback other projects or
> > > newly created ones. I just
> > > cannot play this specific project.
> >
> > It's pretty tough to guess what may be happening.
> More
> > information is needed. When you open the session
> with
> > Ardour, do you get a popup window Error Log? If
> yes,
> > please post the contents here.
>
> I get no errors.
>
> > If there's no error log, then perhaps you've lost
> the
> > routing for that session. I don't know what you
> mean
> > by "replay" the song. Does the playhead move and
> do
> > you see levels in the channel meters? If yes,
> check
>
> Exactly this is the problem: By "replay" I mean
> pressing the play button. If I
> do this exactly nothing happens besides the play
> button turning yellow.

I haven't seen this bug and don't know what to tell
you.

> > That version of Ardour is pretty old. I'm not a
> Debian
> > user so I can't help with any of upgrade issues. I
> was
>
> I've upgraded from Debian stable to testing to get
> newer packages and now it
> turns out this is too antique as well... I should
> give Demudi or unstable a
> try...

Many of us use Planet CCRMA because Fernando keeps
upgrading packages. Reguardless, it's not reasonable
to keep up with Ardour. As bugs are reported and
fixed, CVS is updated. New fixes and bugs are
discovered daily.

One stragety is to run the available CCRMA version and
the CVS version--just don't 'make install' for the
CVS.

> > gonna suggest you upgrade but you are new to linux
> > that might not be the best advice. If that version
> of
> > Ardour has the features you need for learning and
> > working on your sessions don't bother. A 1.0
> stable
> > release is expected soon enough that you could
> wait
> > for it.
>
> I guess I'll have to wait for this. A pity, I just
> fell in love with those
> Mellotron choirs I recorded and no I cannot listen
> to them :)

Maybe you could create a new session file and import
those sources into it. You might have to do some work
in the editor but that's not the end of the world.
Have you tried that yet?

Don't misinterpret my suggestion, you can use Ardour
but you've gotta be prepared to deal with bugs. If you
know that, you can avoid some frustration, keep
learning and having fun.

Talk to you soon,

ron