Re: [linux-audio-user] problems with the realtime-lsm patch

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] problems with the realtime-lsm patch
From: Malcolm Baldridge (linux-audio_AT_paypc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 03:44:57 EEST

> I've applied it to a 2.6.7 and 2.6.8.r1 kernel but I should think that
> makes little difference. I'm getting really tired of chasing the 2.6
> kernels to make them work as well as my 2.4.22. I gave up trying 6
> months ago and it looks like nothing has improved. <sigh>

People, people...

Speaking as someone who's used and tinkered with Linux from the 1.x days,
never ever be fooled into thinking that "release" Linux kernels mean release
as in "high quality and/or bug-free" (as bug-free as can be realistically
expected at least).

I avoid new kernels until they make it through adolescence... .17 or .18.
Seriously. I could regale you with sordid tales of mid-stream VMM changes,
driver breakage, filesystem miseries (for ext3!!), etc. But just take my
word for it.

Unless you want to be on the BLEEDING edge (make sure you remember the
operative word there), just stick to the mature kernels. 2.4.26 is nice and
solid, and whatever flaws remain with it are really minor ones. I use for
everything from SMP web/MySQL servers, to
everything-including-the-kitchen-sink home network servers, to personal
development stations. It works, and it works well. There are mature and
well-tested low-latency patches which just work well. I use them on my
production servers and notice improvements in many aspects of their
performance, without compromises in uptime or robustness. (Many of these
servers crossed over a year of uptime recently.)

Let those who have an ample supply of band-aids and H2O2 mess around with
2.6. They're still getting their infrastructure issues sorted out.

=MB=

--
A focus on Quality.