[linux-audio-user] in trouble with rme digi96/8 pad

Subject: [linux-audio-user] in trouble with rme digi96/8 pad
From: kmd (lazone_AT_pi.be)
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 13:41:25 EEST

maybe this is a question for alsa, but if you don't mind i rather put my
problem here as well. i'm in continious trouble with my sound card. i
spent a lot of money on this rme digi96-8/pad. when i bought the card it
immediately worked like a charm with mdk 9.2. unbelievable. the trouble
started with mdk 10.0. i managed to make it work after several days of
searching. don't ask me how, i woke up, booted and to my surprise it
worked. never change a winning configuration you would say. indeed.
today i reenabled the onboard audio chip in the bios, booted windows,
booted back linux and yes trouble happened. just like the first time of
troubles, everything seems to be working fine and configured as it
should be, but i hear *no* sound at all. it's driving me insane. i mean,
i run xmms, mplayer, aplay.. they all do seem to play sound without any
error, only i can't hear anything at all. but alsamixer displays a 100%
volume output (with this card there is only 1 mixer, DAC) and when i
boot windows i hear sound, so it's not a cable prob. am i missing here
anything obvious? is there another volume mixer that i should try? i
remember playing with a console program to set mixer volumes, but can't
remember which one.

please help.

kmd

alsa 1.0.2c
mandrake 10 official, standard 2.6 kernel

[root_AT_bazz kmd]# aplay -D default /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/KDE_Logout_new.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

.asoundrc

pcm.!default {
         type hw
         card 0
         }

         ctl.!default {
         type hw
         card 0
         }

pcm.rme96 {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.rme96 {
type hw
card 0
}

etc/modules.conf

probeall scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
above snd-rme96 snd-pcm-oss
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci ehci-hcd
alias eth0 sk98lin
alias sound-slot-0 snd-rme96

################# alsa kmd
## ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-rme96
## module options should go here

## OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-rme96

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

lsmod

snd-seq-oss 33568 0
snd-seq-midi-event 8704 1 snd-seq-oss
snd-seq 55696 4 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event
snd-seq-device 9032 2 snd-seq-oss,snd-seq
snd-pcm-oss 53316 0
snd-mixer-oss 19008 1 snd-pcm-oss
snd-rme96 26244 0
snd-pcm 97440 2 snd-pcm-oss,snd-rme96
snd-page-alloc 12996 1 snd-pcm
snd-timer 26660 2 snd-seq,snd-pcm
snd 55492 9
snd-seq-oss,snd-seq-midi-event,snd-seq,snd-seq-device,snd-pcm-oss,snd-mixer-oss,snd-rme96,snd-pcm,snd-timer
soundcore 10560 1 snd