Re: [linux-audio-user] real-time audio effects

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] real-time audio effects
From: lee (lee_AT_fallingforward.net)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 19:56:51 EEST

caffeine wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Thanks to everyone who answered to the previous thread. I played around
> a bit with ecamegapedal, and I have to say I'm amazed by the
> performances on this box (an old celeron 400...)
>
> Now I'm thinking about using it as an effect rack (it might actually
> look good on stage (somewhat nerdish, but I like nerdish stuff (and
> lisp))). I've looked here and there for interesting software to use but
> I'm kinda lost. Ecasound seems like the thing I'd need, but I'm
> wondering if I'm not missing something (there is a plethora of free
> multimedia software out there (maybe more than closed source ones), but
> it's difficult to locate the thing you need).
>
> So basically my question is, what do you people use for effect
> processing on live instruments ? I'm pretty sure there are lots of nifty
> things to do, I just don't know where to start...

A little late to the game on this one but...

*jack-rack for plugin effects (mostly dynamics but there's a boatload of
LADSPA plugins available)
*freqtweak for vocal processing from a mic input
*Pure Data for live sampling and looping with custom built patches

With a 2.4 kernel and JACK I get no noticeable latency playing as fast
as I'm capable of. It's not perfect though, some JACK apps decide to
crash at random intervals if left running for too long and I've noticed
that one bad app can ruin the whole signal chain.

-lee