Re: [linux-audio-user] Mellotron

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mellotron
From: Ryan (ruinaudio_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 03:17:22 EEST

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 15:38 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Ryan wrote:
>
> > It should be really easy to come up with a great mellotron sample set
> > (since it's essentially a sampled instrument). But I think having a
> > nice long keypress (4 seconds) would make it much easier.
> >

> Hi,
> Just as a point of reference the original Mellotron had 8 second
> tapes, I believe. Also, when those tapes ran out there was no loop. You
> get to the end of the tape and you just get no more sound. Playing a
> Mellotron is an experience in learning to manage this by letting go of
> individual keys in a chord and replaying them so that you don't have the
> whole chord go away abruptly.
>
> Anyway, if you create loops from Mellotron samples you're no longer
> playing a Mellotron! ;-)

Well obviously you're not playing a mellotron... if you're not playing a
mellotron ;-)

The original mellotron had 6 feet of tape played at 7.5 ips (about 9.6
seconds of play per note) with 35 keys that'd be about 5 and a half
minutes of sampled sound... how big would that be?

Anyway I wouldn't want to emulate the experience of playing a mellotron
(a software emulation of tape breaking anyone). Maybe if we ask really
really nicely Emiliano's friend will re-sample the mellotron.

-ry