Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware - Solved for now?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CPU clock - beware - Solved for now?
From: Matthew Barber (brbrofsvl_AT_aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 04:30:22 EEST

->I run almost the same setup, except I have a Asus A7N8X mobo with
the Athlon 2500 overclocked to 2100Mhz @ 200Mhz fsb on Fedora with the
CCRMA 2.4.26-1.ll kernel. The problem I always run into is that my
setup will not run the low latency (ll) "athlon" kernel without locking
up like you described. I have found that if I manually install the i686
kernel and ALSA from the CCRMA rpms, it will boot just fine and is very
stable. In other words don't use apt-get to install the kernel and ALSA
because it will always pick the Athlon versions. I haven't found any
problems using apt-get after the kernel,alsa rpm installation, although
when a new kernel comes out you do have to install it manually.<-

Thanks to everyone who responded. My friend Kevin Ernste pointed me to
one of many forum threads which talk about using "noapic nolapic" (hey,
that's a good rhyme!) as kernel arguments for the nforce2 chipset. Like
this one:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1035056#post1035056

I did that early this morning (actually, I just passed nolapic so far),
and have not had a single problem at the normal clock speed, throwing
everything I could at it. I had qjackctl open running alsaplayer into a
simple jack-rack amplifier into freqtweak into a rezound record, while
burning a CD, encoding an mp3, and playing with Celestia. Aside from
Celestia and the mp3 encoder being fairly slow and the cpu temp reaching
41C during that episode, everything seems pretty solid.

Thanks,

Matt