Re: [linux-audio-user] good studio monitors

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] good studio monitors
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 17:17:21 /etc/localtime

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 06:20:43PM +0200, Tim Orford wrote:
> > The KRKs (two different models) were completely
> > awful, severely obnoxious upper mids and boomy, tubby bass.
>
> lol! just goes to show you are right about subjectivity.
> Krk seem to take a different approach, emphasising openness and detail
> over flat frequency response. The ear can compensate for frequency
> bumps in a way which is not possible with other defects. Their models
> vary a lot but i would count myself as a fan.
>
> the only good advice is never to take advice on speakers:-)

Exactly, whatever works for you. Plenty of people like those KRKs.

Also it should be pointed out that sound varies a lot across one
company's products. E.g. I seem to recall hearing some other KRK
model that didn't irritate me the way the two models in the store
did. It was a year ago so I've forgotten which model is which.

somebody asked about genelecs... again, they vary.
one guy whose opinions I value, Scott Dorsey over on rec.audio.pro,
really hates the genelec 1029 but says most of the others are pretty good,
and he prefers the 1031 to the Mackies. My band did an album in a
studio that had 1030s (I think) and they seemed pretty nice to me.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com