Re: [linux-audio-user] Sorry Mr.Barber (was: CPU clock-beware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Sorry Mr.Barber (was: CPU clock-beware)
From: Matthew Barber (brbrofsvl_AT_aol.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 07:22:30 EEST

->Mr. Barber,

    It kind of seems that everyone (myself included) was distracted from
the original subject that you posted. Anyway, on the CCRMA website it
does say that some machines won't be able to run the "ll" kernel. As I
said before, I just stumbled upon the fact that while my athlon won't
run the "ll" athlon kernel (I had the same lockups you describe) it will
run the "ll" i686 kernel. I don't have any idea what this does to system
performance as far as music production goes, since my limited amount of
music recording experience is on Windows and Cubase, and my boss won't
even entertain the thought of using Linux, or at least giving it a try.
So I don't have anyway of testing the i686 kernel with the athlon in a
realworld situation.

                Rick B<-

I will keep this in mind. I imagine this requires installing the kernel
and ALSA RPMs from the website rather than with apt-get. For now
passing "nolapic" to the kernel at boot-time seems to be working like a
charm, but not when I overclock. I don't really have any need to
overclock right now, though - just wanted to test its stability. And it
ain't stable.

Thanks,

Matt