Re: [linux-audio-user] Thanks for help with Mandrake packages

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Thanks for help with Mandrake packages
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 11:47:23 EEST

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 00:20, ejbjr wrote:
> Thanks for the help. Apparently 'urpmi' is the real tool under
> 'rpmdrake' (the avoid-the-evil-command-line Mandrake GUI for package
> installation). Boy, wouldn't it be nice if we had a search engine that
> could take a description of what we want to do, and suggest a list of
> possibly interesting manual pages, html links, PDF documents, etc. I've
> sometimes spent days with Yahoo/Google scanning thousands of irrelavent
> pages to find the info I want. I've gotten a lot more useful info about
> linux in general on this mailing list by accident than I have
> searching. Unfortunately, I have limited time to deal with email lists.
> Maybe we need a search engine like Yahoo, which only finds linux-related
> documentation pages (I know I'm dreaming).
>
> e. j. branagan
> The MUSE - Nashville, TN

I'd have set fire to my linux box a LONG time ago if not for URPMI!
Granted, I kinda work Linux like winblows with all the pretty GUI candy
and simplified software installs but it's been that or nothing! I just
can't find time to sift for hours and hours thru man pages, google,
blah, blah to figure out whats going on. My wife never sees me now! :)

I can say I've learned a lot though irrespective of staying in the GUI
stuff for the most part. And it was ALL driven by the yearning for DAW
stuff on Linux. Austin Acton's article popped up on a MDK monthly email
and my wife has not seen me since. :)

R~