Re: [linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Replacing Alsa driver in 2.6.8 kernel
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 20:57:22 EEST

Christian Henz wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 10:05:30AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>> I wonder if anyone has a pointer to any web instructions on how to
>>replace an Alsa driver that has gotten broken in a new kernel release.
>>My ATIIXP sound chip has worked fine for months but suddenly it's broken
>>in a number of 2.6.7 kernels as well as 2.6.8-rc2. It appears that a
>>broken driver was released without testing, if I understand the Alsa Bug
>>Tracker correctly. Now there are comments about replacing the driver in
>>the kernel with the driver from CVS. I don't know how to do this.
>>
>> Sorry for bringing this issue here but I'm hoping to get a simple
>>answer before I go join yet another mailing list for a one time event.
>>

> In the kernel config, enable 'Sound card support' but disable ALSA, then
> download the alsa-driver package from alsa-project.org and compile and
> install it seperately.
>
> cheers,
> Christian

Christian,
    Thanks, but this would seem to build Alsa CVS, but not just replace
an existing driver within the kernel that I'm running. (This was the
instruction given within a bug report on the Alsa site for the problem
I'm having.) Not sure how Gentoo is going to feel about this, but I'll
consider it. Thanks.

    This is not the same as what I found on the Alsa web site from
Jaroslav, which seems to say I should download CVS, then move a driver :

<SNIP>
Updating ALSA Kernel drivers

12/09/03

Yes, from our main site - http://www.alsa-project.org .

> If so, then do I have to determine which particular version is
> in the kernel and then source the same versioned lib/utils packages ?

Version is available in linux/include/sound/version.h

> What is the difference between /usr/include/sound/* and
> /usr/src/linux/include/sound/* and where might ""
> be that some packages need for compiling ?

ALSA library has a copy of kernel header files and it is backwards
compatible with ALSA code 0.9 final (which is also in the 2.6 kernel
tree). In other words, you can use 1.0 packages without any problems.

> Is there some sane method to intergrate ALSA from CVS into whatever
> is the latest 2.6 kernel source tree... how ?

ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/kernel-patches .

or (use BitKeeper):

bk pull http://linux-sound.bkbits.net/linux-sound

or

simply copy files from the ALSA's alsa-kernel CVS module to relevant
locations in the 2.6 kernel tree.

                                                Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela