Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: Thorsten Wilms (t_w__AT_freenet.de)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 12:09:38 EEST

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 06:26:45PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:

> So, what features are important to you in a synth? What annoys you
> about the current crop of linux synths?

I only took a rather brief look at AMS, Galan and SCM some time ago.
Besides some gui issues the biggest problem was understanding
how to work with MIDI.

I think there should be no special MIDI bindings dialog,
but all should work with modules (staying inside of one
general concept). Allthough it might be nice to have a
modulation matrix (covering MIDI controlers _and_ internal
modulations).

It would be nice to allow MIDI to be used like this:
- start with a input module
- filter out a channel
- optionaly filter a range of notes
- send the signal to an osc
- the osc automaticaly plays the right frequencies
- the full midi signal is put through to the output
- a following envelope can be triggered on note-ons,
a filter can have its frequency modulated by the velocity,
all without extra cabling

Sending 2 or more outputs to 1 input could lead to
automatic creation of a mixer module.

modules I would like to see:
- a sample player with variable speed, direction, pitch,
formants
- a buffer that can be used to cut of a variable part of
the begining of any audio signal
- a mapping module with x and y axis and a curve like known
from Photoshop or the GIMP

I would like to see a system of assemblies/sub-assemblies
and patches.
The full setup of modules and connections would be the
assembly (just using this term because I have the idea from
Solidworks). Now an assembly can contain any numbers of
assemblies (making them sub-assemblies). But they all are
stored in seperate files.
Patches would work on top of assemblies, by bringing in
the specific settings of all parameters (a patch for the
top assembly could reference patches for all contained
sub-assemblies).
To make it all perfect there should be a versioning system,
but I guess that's a bit much to ask for :)

An old idea for a modular synth gui:
make it zoomable! Zoomed out you would have a nice overview
even of large systems. Zooming in allows to easily manipulate
controls right on the modules.
A variation on this would be a fish-eye like effect, showing
the area around the pointer large, with decreasing size
with growing distance from it. Of course without distortion,
but working block by block.

There are some small ideas from my work on Specimen that
might be interesting for single modules. But for now
it should be about the big picture, right?

---
Thorsten Wilms