Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 19:43:22 EEST

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 23:29, Rob wrote:
> On Thursday 29 July 2004 18:26, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > So, what features are important to you in a synth? What
> > annoys you about the current crop of linux synths?
>
> I would really like an *easy* and *intuitive* way to map
> arbitrary MIDI controllers to various functions, filters,
> whatever... I have this PCR-30 with 8 knobs, 8 sliders and a
> joystick and would really like to be able to do something with
> all that twiddly goodness that i can tweak while actually
> playing rather than stopping, editing a config file or whatever.
>
> Something like a "Map a controller..." menu option that then
> listens for a MIDI controller producing a lot of data and then
> asks you to click on the filter or whatever that you want to map
> it to, that'd be nice. Maybe that's out there in some linux
> sound app I haven't tried yet, but I haven't yet gotten to the
> point where I can play a jackified synth from my keyboard for
> any length of time without the whole thing crashing, so I guess
> "not throwing a segv every 5 minutes" would be a nice feature to
> have too ;)
>
> Rob

Try AMS (alsamodular.sf.net). It has really good MIDI mapping, you can
move a controller and it will show up/hilight in the list, then you can
pick what param to bind it too.

I plan on having the ability to right click on a module port and select
"Bind MIDI Controller" from the menu, and having a dialog pop up that
allows you to select the controller (moving the physical controller will
select it). Would that work for you?

This is just frontend stuff which isn't my focus at the moment (engine
first), but I still like to hear opinions

-DR-