Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 23:42:11 EEST

On Friday 30 July 2004 06:02 am, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:10:32 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> > <OT>
> > If anybody knows how to do this with QSynth / Fluid / Soundfonts
> > generally I'd love to know about it. This is one of the things I most
> > hate about soundfonts.
> > </OT>
>
> pitchwheel? (seriously) DLS or GM defines a standard range for pitchweel,
> so you could write/beg/borrow/steal some code to send a onetime pitchbend
> message over alsasequencer that would retune all the synths to a
> particular A tuning.

Hardware synths have a detuning parameter so it's an expectation for somebody
coming from that world.
IIRC Eastern orchestras tune to 438 and some Japanese stuff used to actually
ship tuned thusly. I was surprised not to see a master tune param in the
fluidsynth man page.

Seriously? That's a pretty gruesome hack. It'd do the job but it creates more
problems than it solves.