Re: [linux-audio-user] Running 2 soundcards...One Delta1010LT for Jack audio, SBlive5.1 for midi??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Running 2 soundcards...One Delta1010LT for Jack audio, SBlive5.1 for midi??
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 03:02:18 EEST

On Friday 30 July 2004 03:23 pm, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Have a question...
>
> I'm trying to move ever towards eliminating Winblows. I have to come up
> with a *bullet proof* method of running a solid midi seq alongside the
> Delta for my fx and live audio processing.
>
> None of the midi apps out there seem to work very well with softsynths
> used for the GM instrument set. Fluidsynth, etc has it's issues and so
> on. I don't own any hardware modules and don't want to if I dont have
> to. I have been using Roland Virtual sound canvas, Yamaha sy-xg,
> wingroove, Edirol Hypercanvas, etc on Win XP with Sonar for this
> function and it works well.
>
> I'm wondering, how might I run a SBlive next to the Delta and not have
> them conflict. I guess I would have to run the SBlive in the OSS layer?

You can run them both as ALSA and you can even bind them into a single virtual
device. You won't be able to maintain sample level sync without wordclock.
How much of a problem that is depends on exactly what you want to do.
If you're just looking for I/O in real time (as opposed to realtime), sync
isn't much of an issue. If you're looking for multichannel I/O for
recording/mixing, it's inadequate.

> Then suffer from realtime issues again? Point being in previous
> experimentation, the SBlive with a sound font loaded, at least behaves
> more like an actual piece of hardware...It might play a little nicer
> with Muse or Rosegarden...

It is an actual piece of hardware. It can be seen as a disadvantage when it's
time to mix down (you have to lay it down to PCM). I'd like to find a way
around that.