Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 03:38:48 EEST

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 18:07, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 05:33:13 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > > But... it doesnt solve the modular synth problem, as nothing encourages
> > > DSSI UI's to be modular synth friendly, and they are all seperate
> > > processes with toplevel windows, so framing them together modular
> > > softsynth style is going to be hard.
> >
> > That's okay, I don't like UI-on-the-module modulars anyway, I just want
>
> Maybe because you've never used a good implemtnation of the idea. Like I
> said hte Linux implementations are quite a way behid in UI terms.

Actually I've used the Nord editor (not extensively, but I've played).
It is very nice indeed, but like I said complicated patches just take up
too much space, especially when you work at a "lower level" so to speak
(with lots of amps, and scaling, etc).

Think of an average Pd patch, except with 400x300px modules for
everything. Hardly feasible.

> > to be able to click on a module to get a GUI window, like ams (except
> > with custom GUIs of course)
>
> Each to thier own.

Exactly. Hey, if someone wants to pursue the controls-on-module thing,
they're more than welcome to write their own frontend. :)

-DR-