Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Sun Aug 01 2004 - 06:52:15 EEST

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 17:03, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 18:41, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 14:19, Lee Revell wrote:
> >
> > > If jackd were running SCHED_FIFO aka realtime, and gnome-terminal as a
> > > normal priority process, it would be a bug (priority inversion) if
> > > gnome-terminal *ever* interfered with jackd's operation.
> >
> > Well, i thought Linux can provide only soft realtime, so the
> > interference is not totally out of question (like it would be on systems
> > that can do hard or "true" realtime). Am i missing something?
>
> It's not "hard realtime", which is where missing a deadline is
> considered a fatal error, and is *never* allowed. The Mars Rovers are a
> hard RT - if you are *ever* too late in responding to a 'move wheel'
> command, that's it - mission over.

:-D

Dude, i am aware of the difference between soft and hard realtime. I was
merely pointing out that your strong statement ("it would be a bug
(priority inversion) if gnome-terminal *ever* interfered with jackd's
operation") coresponds to the hard realtime situation, while Linux is
(to my best knowledge) soft realtime.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/