Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 02:19:16 EEST

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 14:19, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 16:09, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 12:57, Chris Pickett wrote:
> > > note that i don't like menubars or scrollbars or any of that crap, and
> > > aterm lets you get rid of them easily (scrollbar is shift+pgup/pgdn or
> > > shift+up/dn).
> >
> > Actually, gnome-terminal is good from a usability p.o.v. I like the way
> > it has copy/paste keyb shortcuts, i actually use the Reset And Clear
> > function (makes it easy to copy/paste huge swaths of text), etc.
> > But, with JACK needing a smooth environment, gnome-terminal seems like a
> > timed bomb. :-(
>
> You *have* to use realtime scheduling if you want jackd to work.
> Period. Otherwise, the system is doing exactly what you are telling it
> to. You have two processes, gnome-terminal and jackd, with the same
> priority, so when both of them want to run, it's 50/50 who will get
> scheduled. It is *not* gnome-terminal's fault if scrolling text causes
> XRUNs in jackd.

I did run into the gnome terminal slowness when doing some jack tests
under 2.6.x + FC2. I think the problem _may_ be inside jack. Some error
reporting functions use just a printf from inside a realtime thread. So,
an error occurs (xrun, for example), jack prints it out, gnome-terminal
is really slow, which causes another error (the printf and everything it
calls is running realtime, right?), which is printed by jack and so on
and so forth (or at least I think that is what is happening). The whole
machine slows down to a crawl. Running jack from an xterm significantly
changes the behavior for the better. And yes, it is the fault of
(mainly) antialiasing, turning it off makes the fonts really ugly but
performance is back to something halfway decent.

I noticed because I was looking at the cpu meter applet and saw big
spikes that where happening at the same time as the terminal scrolls!

-- Fernando