Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] gnome-terminal performance
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 03:32:58 EEST

On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 17:06, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 19:19, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > So,
> > an error occurs (xrun, for example), jack prints it out,gnome-terminal
> > is really slow, which causes another error (the printf and everything it
> > calls is running realtime, right?), which is printed by jack and so on
> > and so forth (or at least I think that is what is happening). The whole
> > machine slows down to a crawl. Running jack from an xterm significantly
> > changes the behavior for the better. And yes, it is the fault of
> > (mainly) antialiasing, turning it off makes the fonts really ugly but
> > performance is back to something halfway decent.
> >
> > I noticed because I was looking at the cpu meter applet and saw big
> > spikes that where happening at the same time as the terminal scrolls!
>
> What video hardware and motherboard are you using?

This was on a laptop, p4 1.7Ghz, 512M ram, radeon video chipset, dri
enabled. The kernel I was running was patched with the "illegal" drm low
latency patch (which does a reschedule with a lock held but gets rid of
10/15msec scheduling delays - I know, bad boy, no cookie :-).

> Does the problem go away if you set Option "NoAccel" in the "Device"
> section of XF86Config?

I don't know, I will retest when I have a chance. This is further
complicated with the problems jack has with 2.6.x/nptl.

If I find a moment I would like to catch up to the latest patches and
get a newer 2.6.x running before retesting. I've been on a trip and then
busy with a big move and have been trying to keep with the latest (and
salivating over the latencies reported on 2.6.x)...

-- Fernando