Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters
From: Malcolm Baldridge (linux-audio_AT_paypc.com)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 01:15:58 EEST

Quoting Florin Andrei <florin_AT_andrei.myip.org>:

> I've not been able to follow LKML too closely in the last few weeks, so
> i'm out of loop with the recent developments. If some of you folks did
> watch it, do you care to bring the rest of us up to speed WRT the latest
> 2.6 developments that are related to "audio" kernels?

I guess this boils down to how you want to spend your time.

You can either use your audio tools to compose and create music... or ...
you can spend your days compiling kernels and "fixing" problems which aren't
broken.

It's interesting to note how little time my Pro Tools friends spend on their
 Operating System [the "primitive" MacOS 8.6] compared to actually using
their audio tools. :) Of course, I know this is LINUX-audio, and the Linux
part comes before audio, so therefore it gets more attention than actually
making noises through the speakers. ;)

I have not followed the bleeding edge, but 2.6+preempt+patches have not
given the rock-solidly reliable low latency of 2.4.26-preempt which has a
nice and predictable testing record.

I'm sure with enough time and effort you might get 2.6 "back" to 2.4 levels,
but it's all changing a great deal right now. Give it at least another
month to settle down and for all of the changes to be tested and whatnot.

Please take Linux oldtimers' advice: the maturity of new Linux kernels
approximately matches humans: up through the teens are very stormy and often
deadly - once they've killed themselves off, things are safe enough to start
to use. :)

=MB=

--
A focus on Quality.