Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Your synth wishlist?
From: ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 07:21:01 EEST

Snap-in... just means modules that are easy to plug and unplug. Probably visually.

Actually, Reason's probably closer. If it would work with virtual desktops and there were some planning put into placement of gui stuff {omnipresent, floating toolbars,etc.} that might be nice.

http://www.propellerheads.se/

Moog modular uses realistic patch cables to interconnect modules. I'm thinking that uses way too many resources. Something simpler would be better.

http://www.arturia.com/en/mmscreenshots.html

Jahshaka does things in screens.

http://www.jahshaka.com/

 http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?vokator_us

> > VST is essential. ...LADSPA.
>
> Personally not into proprietary plugins very much at all. I'm not
> against the idea of VST support, I just don't care. I might get around
> to it sometime.

 Many people are though. There are a huge number of vst plugins. It would vastly increase your user base very quickly:

http://www.kvr-vst.com/

If you look through the Kvr database... you might pay attention to how many are written with Synthedit.

http://www.synthedit.com/

> > A timeline like the one in http://openvip.sourceforge.net/ would rock... either to actually do video or to set up samples.
>
> Hmm.. that's sequencer stuff, not really in the domain of this prog.
> Unless it's integrated with the below-mentioned "OSC sequencer".
> hmmmm..

 I was just thinking of it in terms of a module. Osc does make it very modular already though. I'd not actually considered that. I was thinking of it in terms of a large internal thing.

> > Automation would be nice
>
> Actually I'm thinking about writing an 'OSC sequencer' to do
> automation-like things. Not sure about the feasibility of that though.

 :} Maybe with a timeline?

> > PVM? That way you could stretch it across a cluster. Mosix? Maybe peer2peer midi {Freshmeat}?
> > Eyesweb compatibility {should they ever happen to port it}?
>
> aaaand yet again OSC. :)

 How's that? Code optimized for Parallel virtual machines and Mosix clusters... lots of processing power cheap. Peer2peer midi synchs it netwide. You could potentially have an orchestra that spanned the globe and have it operate within the same framework. {Though this does place a twist into the idea of virtual patch cords. :}}

> > FM? {See Lollapalooza} Additive functions? {Cube, Cameleon}
>
> Being a modular, methods of synthesis are the users problem, not mine.
> :)
>
> Thanks for the input.

 Alrighty...