Re: [linux-audio-user] mastering audio for DVD-Video

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] mastering audio for DVD-Video
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 06:42:22 EEST

--- Tommi Sakari Uimonen <tuimonen_AT_cc.hut.fi> wrote:

> > film score. The final destination is DVD-Video. I
> need
>
> > My job is simply the audio so I should hand off a
> > 16bit, 44100 digital master with no peaks above
>
> DVD is 48000 (I don't know if it can take 44100, but
> I'd check before
> burning anything to DVD)

You're right it's 48000 and the production house
informed me that they think the bit depth for beta is
24.

It took awhile for me to realize that the video
production house had mistakenly assumed my client's
product was going to analog format and for broadcast.
The final destination is DVD-Video and the correct
level is dictated by the file format (48000, 24bit) so
0.0dbfs is max peak. The levels of my master should
not have been adjusted when it was merged/transfered
to the DVD-Video.

It's an interesting learning experience. Assuming I
understand the issues, I'll prevent this
misunderstanding on future jobs.

ron