Re: [linux-audio-user] MusE Race Condition

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MusE Race Condition
From: Cournapeau David (ENST) ("Cournapeau)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 11:04:00 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 23:04:49 -0700
>davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net wrote:
>

>>I found that I can set ulimit -l to some fraction of memory so that
>>it isn't "unlimited." This does produce various warnings, but on this
>>machine, with what little I've done thus far, MusE *seems* to run OK.
>>It would seem to me, with what little I know about mlock() policy, that
>>there is an mlock() SNAFU in some of the Linux audio programs. If
>>that's not the case, I'd really like to hear the explanation. (Thanks
>>to anyone who contributes info on this.)
>>

>For memory problems, the first step would be to run the app under
>valgrind to check for memory leaks and usage of unitialised data.
>
>Unfortunately, I don't think valgrind works on the 2.6 kernel yet.

I am very new to valgrind, but it seems to work on 2.6 kernel for recent
versions. To quote the valgrind's homepage :

"

      Operating System

You must be running Linux kernel 2.4.X, 2.5.X or 2.6.X, and glibc 2.2.X
or 2.3.X. That covers the vast majority of installed systems at present.
The oldest system we test on is Red Hat 7.2, which is getting pretty
long in the tooth by now.

The 2.1.2 stable release is known to build and run on Red Hats 7.2, 7.3,
8, 9, Fedora Core 2 and SuSE 9.1. It should work on both NPTL and
PosixThreads based systems. Chances are good that it will build and work
for you if you have any non-ancient Linux distribution.

The 2.0.0 stable release is known to build and run on Red Hats 7.3, 8,
9, SuSE 8.0 and SuSE 8.2."

Cheers,

David