Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 22:04:57 EEST

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 11:48, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 10:28, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> > Firstly, thanks much for all the replies and ideas...
> >
> > As expected, many have dedicated and loyal opinions to their distro of
> > choice...it's one of the many attributes that makes Linux so awesome!
> >
> > I guess I need something that has packages to save some time and then a
> > "package" support that keeps stuff up to date as much as possible...
> >
> > I guess that is:
> >
> > Planet CCRMA
> > Debian
> > Suse?
> >
> > From what I see on the CCRMA site. looks like they stay as current as
> > possible...I think apt is what they use?
>
> Yes, I use apt for rpm. Rpm is the basic underlying package manager. Apt
> provides a higher level layer that makes sure that dependencies are met
> when you install packages (apt was originally written for Debian and the
> .deb packages, was ported over to use rpm packages by Conectiva).
>
> > Is it relatively free from dependency hell with lots of server
> > repositories?
>
> Yes. It should be completely free from that particular hell if you just
> use the Planet CCRMA repository :-) If you add other apt repositories
> (dag, freshrpms, atrpms come to mind) there may be conflicts, but I try
> to be as compatible as possible and resolve them when/if they arise.
>
> If you have the time and bandwidth you should try several distros for a
> while and stay with the one you like most.

I do...and I will. I think I will give CCRMA a shot first....especially
as I already have 2 of the Fedora core 1 iso's downloaded...

How is CCRMA doing with the 2.6 kernel issues in general?

 Fernando

> > I don't live that far from SF bay area...I could always go bug Fernando! :)
> > {BTW Fernando...I was part of the crew that refurbished the Audio Visual
> > dept. at Stanford about 10 years ago! }
>
> Wow... we're now in the middle of another renovation, our main building
> is being rebuilt (was damaged in the '89 quake)...

Time flies! I remember 2 people there that were staff...

One guy was "George" I think. He was the Maintenance engineer... Was
missing some digits on one hand...and the name of the girl who headed up
the dept eludes me. We spent a LOT of long hours there swapping out the
A/V routers, new racks, VTR's, consoles, etc.

I was with a company called B&B Systems from LA at the time. They are
now defunct.

Cheers,

R~