Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Best distro for Audio??
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 22:56:40 EEST

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 06:33, robin fell wrote:
> > Last Friday 06 August 2004 03:01, Russell Hanaghan was like:
> > > I need to stretch my wings a little and try something outside of
> > > Mandrake 10.0...
> > >
> > > Can I get some basic pros and cons of the different distro's you're
> > > using? And especially from previous Mandrake users.
>
> I gave up with Mandrake at 8.0. It was OK(ish), but I have a nasty
> habit of breaking _anything_ based on RPM.
>
> Tried Planet, but based on RH meant endless RPM database woes for me :(

Hmmm, not recently, right?

There were some problems in RH8 (or was it 9?) where sometimes rpm would
hang, but that was a while ago.

> Ended up on Gentoo, but I can't really recommend it for general use by
> others;
>
> cons
> 1. easy to select configurations (via USE flags) that break your system
> 2. easy to select (via USE flags) configurations that _nearly_ work :(
> 3. takes ages to compile things from source, with little real benefit
> 4. fills your HD with source code (minor niggle really)
>
> pros
> 1. i've not managed to break portage yet. this is numero-uno for me
> because i killed MDK and RH several times - requiring a reinstall [note:
> yes i do know about rpm dB locks and dB repair tools, but they failed to
> fix my dB]

Yuck.... I guess I'm lucky. I've never gotten that far in breaking a
system through rpm alone. Just curious, which is the last version of
rh/fc you tried?

> I'm currently considering a change of distro too - I spend too long on
> admin issues, and not enough time hacking/recording.

Probably true of any distro if you want to use the latest versions of
audio packages (and who doesn't!). Let us know what you find...
-- Fernando