[linux-audio-user] Can you help me choose a laptop?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Can you help me choose a laptop?
From: Jon B (30plxf602_AT_sneakemail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 03:50:06 EEST

I am going to buy a new laptop, and I would like suggestions,
recommendations, and anti-recommendations. I did check the archives
first, and I found similar posts, but they're from 2002.

I want one that is very linux compatible, and want to use it for audio
(and video and openGL 3D acceleration as well?) I have no idea what
laptops are capable of these days. Probably everything, for the right
price. I am probably thinking in the range of $1200.

Eventually I'll get external inputs and outputs for (multitrack?)
audio (and video?). USB or firewire or whatever is good now. I could
use recommendations on those, too. :-)

I want to run an XP/linux dual boot, probably debian.

Acoustically quiet would be nice, too.

I currently have a Thinkpad 600E. I like that I can buy replacement
parts on eBay and repair it myself when it breaks. I *don't* like
that it has broken so many times. But I have always been able to fix
it myself. My friend's Dell was not too difficult to repair, either.

I've tried Libranet ("Debian based") and I like what I've experienced
so far, though everything is dreadfully slow on my 600E. I don't mind
trackpoints at all, but I've never used a touchpad long enough to like
it, so I might just not know what I'm missing.

I know there are a lot out there. I am wondering what experience you
have with specific brands and models. I know about
linux-on-laptops.com, but I am focusing on audio, so thought this
would be a good place to ask. What laptops do you own and how do they
fit the above qualifications?