Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 07:44:37 EEST

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 00:33, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 21:27, Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > In practice I have found that if I do not make the rtc interrupt
> > non-threaded I get 'rtc: lost some interrupts at 1024 hz' messages when
> > using mplayer, and xruns in alsa unless i do the same for the sound
> > card.
>
> Am i correct to assume that it's good to make the RTC IRQ non-threaded
> when i want to achieve soft-realtime with any application, not
> necessarily with JACK, not necessarily a multimedia app?

Not all of these will use it. mplayer uses it, and I believe someone
mentioned using it to send midi clock. It isn't used for general
timing, I believe the system timer interrupt (irq 0) is used for that.

I just enable it in my tests because it's likely to be enabled on a DAW,
but I don't think any of my current software uses it much.

Lee