Re: [linux-audio-user] Sequencer + Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Sequencer + Sampler
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 11:26:22 EEST

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 21:45, Iván Almada wrote:
> hi, ive been making music for 5 yrs with the
> computer, ive been using virtual sequencer + sampler
> configurations (cubase + halion) i just love making
> music this way (i dont use synths a lot, when i use
> them i render them to .wav and load it in a sampler) ,
> i bought a creative labs audigy card for using the
> software sampler in realtime using the asio driver
> with my midi keyboard (yamaha DSR-500, very old but
> with midi!) and a dual head graphics card (ati radeon
> 7000)... ive been using it in windows with dual
> screens and just love the way dual screen works in a
> virtual studio... so, what i want to do is totally
> dump windows and start making music in linux i totally
> love this os , so i installed fedora core 2 with the
> all the planet ccrma tweaks and apps... i think i have
> a decent setup now, alsa, jack bla bla bla , i also
> have a decent computer (i guess) athlon xp 1700+ with
> 640 mb ram (or something like that) ...
>
> so, i have several questions:
>

> 1) Which software combination do you recommend for
> using a sequencer and a sampler? ive been using
> rosegarden, and i think its excellent but i havent
> found a way to hook up a virtual sampler, and i
> really need one!!! (have my own custom wav sample
> library ive been making all these years)
> is there any dssi sampler or something like that???
> or maybe should i mess with the muse softsynth api ?
>
> or it would be better to use an external soft sampler
> like specimen??? any one knows other programs?
>
> or should i use a tracker and render to wav and load
> it in rosegarden or perhaps ardour???
>
> or should i use soundfonts (ive never tried) and send
> midi data to the audigy wavetable? (thats the last
> option for me i guess... ive never really liked sf
> though ive never tried them really... i just like to
> make it all in a soft sampler) but if its needed then
> ill use this as last resort...

Another benign desperate plea for linux sampler? ;)

Seems your well into whats out there already...and I'm sure you have
already seen this page but just in case...

http://linux-sound.org/

I don't know Swami's complete capabilities...it is primarily a sf editor
I think but it did have the ability to tie with fluidsynth I think...