wiki page (was: Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters)

Subject: wiki page (was: Re: [linux-audio-user] dipping toes in 2.6 waters)
From: Florian Schmidt (mista.tapas_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 13:45:31 EEST

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 01:51:28 -0400
Lee Revell <rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 01:28, Rick B wrote:
> > Is there any way to do this on a 2.4 kernel? Like say,
> > 2.4.26-ll.rhfc1.ccrma, or is this already covered with how Fernando
> > configures the kernel?
> >

> No, as the thread name implies, you need a recent 2.6 kernel with Ingo
> Molnar's voluntary preemption patches to get these new features. I
> believe CCRMA may have a 2.6.7+voluntary preempt package, but I don't
> use it so I'm not sure. Even that package would not be likely to have
> the irq threading feature, this area of kernel development has moved
> very fast lately.
>
> These features are still very new and not fully tested. I would
> imagine more binary packages will become available in the next few
> weeks as the voluntary preempt patches stabilize. For now more
> testers are needed but be warned it probably wont be as stable as
> 2.4+ll now. 2.6 is still not recommended if you need to get serious
> audio work done on any kind of timetable. It will be ready very soon.
>
> Once the voluntary preemption patches for 2.6 are stable then there
> will really be no need to use 2.4+11 anymore, because the performance
> with 2.6+voluntary-preempt is much, much better.

Hi, i just wanted to let you people know that i started a wiki page to
collect info which might be usable for users of 2.6.x who want to
achieve low latency on their system.. content is pretty much lacking
right now and my description of the effects of ingos volountary
preemption patches might be completely off. Maybe you people still want
to take a look and maybe fill with some meat.. Later this info could be
moved to the LAD/LAU site..

http://www.affenbande.org/~tapas/wiki/index.php?Low%20latency%20for%20audio%20work%20on%20linux%202.6.x

Flo

P.S.: does anyone know how to make phpwiki use preformatted text?

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://affenbande.org/~tapas/