Re: [linux-audio-user] Sequencer + Sampler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Sequencer + Sampler
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_gazuga.net)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 18:22:19 EEST

At Sat, 7 Aug 2004 23:45:30 -0500 (CDT),
Iván Almada wrote:

> 1) Which software combination do you recommend for
> using a sequencer and a sampler? ive been using
> rosegarden, and i think its excellent but i havent
> found a way to hook up a virtual sampler, and i
> really need one!!! (have my own custom wav sample
> library ive been making all these years)
> is there any dssi sampler or something like that???
> or maybe should i mess with the muse softsynth api ?
>
> or it would be better to use an external soft sampler
> like specimen??? any one knows other programs?

Do I dare plug my own program.

Yes, yes, I think I do.

My personal setup revolves around seq24 for sequencing and specimen
for sampling. Both of these programs come from the "less-is-more"
school of thought; my own personal eventual goal is to provide an
alternative to monolithic setups, with standalone mixers, modulators,
synths, HDRs, and sequencers, all hooked up with excellent session
management.

However, if you prefer the monolithic approach, a friend personally
recommended MusE to me. As far as I know, there aren't currently any
plugin samplers for linux out there. I eventually plan to separate
specimen into a plugin host and a plugin, but don't hold your
breath...

--
Pete

www.gazuga.net

===================================================================== "I saw the movie 'I, Robot' recently, a film based loosely on a book written by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. In case you're not familiar with Asimov's writing, here's a list of things the movie had in common with the book:

* The title."