Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 02:28:03 EEST

On Monday 09 August 2004 02:24 pm, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Rick B <zajelo3_AT_cfl.rr.com> writes:
> > Is there a way to keep cron jobs from running while doing audio
> > work? I mean heaven forbid I'm doing something at 4am and cron wants
> > to prelink and update the database.
>
> The "best" solution is probably to define a special runlevel in your
> inittab for doing critical audio work. In that runlevel cron and most
> of the other system daemons would be inactive. Switching back to your
> default runlevel would start them all up again.

Have a cigar. ;)

> The problem with this approach is that various distributions manage
> runlevels differently, and it's generally rather clumsy to set up.

The default runlevel is set in /etc/inittab on any box with sysvinit
(RH,Debian,SuSE,Gentoo,Mandrake, ad nauseum) but as far as setting up the
actual services in the runlevel there is no shortage of tools.
Webmin has a runlevel editor, KDE has a runlevel editor, I don't see it in the
menus, but GNOME had one in the past.

There is usually a vendor supplied script called either rc.d-update or
update-rc.d (those are the actual variations I've seen, not a memory lapse)
for managing the links via the command line.