Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Stopping cron jobs
From: John Check (j4strngs_AT_bitless.net)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 10:42:21 EEST

On Monday 09 August 2004 09:04 pm, LinuxMedia wrote:
> > on a RH system use
> >
> > service crond stop
> > run your audio apps
> > service crond start
> >
> > On most other ditributions use (or RH)
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/crond stop
> > run your audio apps
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/crond start
>
> Maybe this is too general of a question, but trying to route out the
> answer seems like to would take a while. Is it common for any of the
> distibutions to set up cron jobs that just *have* to run at a certain
> time (or maybe *by* a certain period of time)? I'm talking about stuff
> that would compamise my system. I currently run SuSE 9.0 Professional.
> Should I take on the task of finding out everything I need to learn to
> answer this? I just have too many project to deal with. But turning off
> cron jobs seems like another good way to eliminate problems while
> recording. I'll take any advantage I can take.
>
> Thanks,
> Rocco

Cron jobs generally run in the wee hours. Just changing the hour they run
to a more convenient time ( the hour spec is 24 hour time) will make life
easier. As far as "compromising" you system goes, just killing cron entirely
won't cause a breach, but / may fill up and choke things if you 86 log
rotation and cleaning /tmp
Anything that;s cron'd out of the box is strictly maintenance (log rotation
and man page indexing) and will take a few months to cause a problem, unless
you root partition is tight on space.