[linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 11, Issue 41

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: linux-audio-user Digest, Vol 11, Issue 41
From: Greg Murphy (public_gmm_AT_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 18:30:15 EEST

> From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 10:32:30AM +0100, Greg Murphy wrote:
> > and varied but are always informative e.g. recently there was a
> > discussion about when linear phase is preferable to minimum phase
> and
> > vice versa.
>
> Heh, OK, as thats currently a topic on lad, could you post a summary
> or
> link to the discussion?

Whoops, that discussion was actually on the ProAud list (pgm.com) -
confusion 'cos much the same people hang out there. Unfortunately there
is no archive kept for that list. However, as I remember, it seems that
both minimum and linear phase EQ has its uses depending on material.
For example, the way in which linear phase smears in time can lead to
audible pre-echo (?) of low-frequencies e.g. an exposed bass drum.
Similarly, linear phase may be useful when material is full of steep
transients. Much of the discussion was ear- rather than science-led so
some blanket terms such as linear phase "clouding a mix" should be
taken with the usual caveat especially as comparisons varied between
plugins and hardware. I think the general outcome was that both minimum
and linear phase EQs are required for particular mastering jobs
(perhaps why some plugins are switchable e.g. HarBal)

If anything else comes up I'll let you know.

Greg