Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Wed Aug 11 2004 - 23:59:13 EEST

On Wednesday 11 Aug 2004 9:12 pm, Iván Almada wrote:
> you could never expect to route midi and audio events
> this way with standard win apps even with rewire...

The whole JACK and ALSA-seq routing thing is really incredibly
involving. (For more instant gratification, I recommend connecting
freqtweak into the mix. Freqtweak and jack-rack together can give
you hours of fun out of the simplest one-note melody. Another thing
that for some reason always tickles me is the JACK output plugin for
xmms: there's something kind of thrilling about being able to play
ripped mp3 and ogg files through an effects rack or straight into an
audio recorder without leaving the comfort of your usual mp3 player.)

> other thing is that i bought the sb audigy just for
> using it with the asio drivers, but with jack you
> dont need that right?

Right. The latencies available will depend on the particular ALSA
drivers and the hardware, but will generally be better than you would
expect without dedicated ASIO drivers or equivalent on Windows.

> would a standart cheapo
> soundcard work this way?

Some soundcards are just crap (e.g. SB 128 PCI), so you always have to
take that into account. But:

> maybe a sb live would do the job?

Yes. Popular budget choice, works very well, will do everything
you're talking about here.

Chris