Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 12:41:20 EEST

>>other problem i think ill encounter is that sequencers
>>cant record the audio directly from your soundcards
>>wavetable... (please correct if im wrong)...

> Oh, I don't think that is a problem, most soundcards have a selectable input,
> you can generally set it to record from several sound sources, including the
> wavetable.

I don't know what card you have, but I have a soundblaster and just
loaded up a soundfont to the wave table with "sfxload"... used kaconnect
to connect the midi keyboard to the wavetable... went to an xterm and
stared alsamixer... set the capture on "Music" in alsamixer (left and
right arrow keys to move around... and the spacebar to choose "capture",
you'll see "CAPTUR" at the top of the "Music" control). Then I raised
the levels on "Music Ca" in alsamixer. I used ecasound to record the the
output of the wavetable to an audio file.

It never seems to be that easy though. The controls are pretty confusing
and there always seems to be a control that needs to be set or unmuted
in conjunction (press "m" to toggle mutting). But if you use QAMix or
KAMix, they are grouped in a more logical way and are easier to work with.

KAMix is basically the same mixer as QAMix. It's just QAMix for the KDE
desktop.

Turning up the wrong control or unmutting the wrong control is a great
way to make the card scream or cause infinte feedback loops.

Momma don't like when the card screams. She says the card makes her ears
hurt.

Rocco