Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] soundfonts and samplers
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 05:55:28 EEST

Hi Pete,

> As has been stated elsewhere in this thread, you can
> apply effects to
> Specimen via jack-rack. However, since it only has
> one pair of output
> ports, using effects is a sub-optimal experience (to
> put it nicely).
> When each patch has it's own port, the situation
> will be much better.

Will the design be for user definable ports?

I'm not familiar with Specimen and don't know how you
define a patch. Assuming that a patch is an instrument
and a drum kit could be eight instruments (one patch)
then the drum kit patch could be eight 1in/2out ports
for a total of 16. It isn't difficult to begin
exausting available ports.

In my mind a routing system similar to that in Ardour
would be interesting because the user can manage
physical and user defined ports in anyway that fits
their audio hardware and personal preferences.

I don't think having one master bus output to hardware
is ideal either because a user might want to process
the snare drum in a rackmount reverb that's connected
to a hardware mixer.

I don't really know what you're designing but thought
I'd make a few assumptions and toss a couple half
baked thoughts in your direction.

ron