Re: [linux-audio-user] External sound card for laptop.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] External sound card for laptop.
From: Jonathan Segel (jsegel_AT_magneticmotorworks.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 08:32:34 EEST

>And what about PCMCIA sound card? i heard that there is a RME one, but i
>think it's very expensive? And what about it's support with ALSA?

yes. i use the rme multiface carbus with my laptop and it works
great! recent alsa updates (v 1.0.5..?) have done great things for
this combo. before i was using it with its pci card in a desktop
version. the rme multiface + cardbus was ~ $850 when i bought it a
couple years ago. might be cheaper now.
running planet-ccrma, by the way, in both of these. still testing
gentoo ppc on my apple laptop.

> > Maybe there is firewire Hardware out there ? ?
>There is some firewire hardward. For example :
>http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?
>do=products.focus&ID=77b8b59a677defc67c40d33428b4014a
>
>But i think that this one doesn't work under Linux .It's my problem....
>Is anybody had an experience with this kind of firewire hardware?

i believe every firewire audio vendor has a different way of parsing
the data packets, so developers would need every vendor's specs...
and most don't release them.

Jonathan Segel  -- MAGNETIC -- PO Box 460816 S.F. CA. 94146-0816
   jsegel_AT_magneticmotorworks.com <-----> magsatellite_AT_yahoo.com
                http://www.MagneticMotorworks.com