Re: [linux-audio-user] "Linux fx box how to" WAS: some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] "Linux fx box how to" WAS: some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 19:30:45 EEST

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:45, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:24, Jan Depner wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 20:08, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> >
> > > The documentation by noobs is a great concept! And not only that, the
> > > "noob" learns in the process.
> > >
> > > So I *should* get busy and write that "live fx box How not to" huh?! :)
> > > I can write a thesis on what NOT to do!
> > >
> > Which, in many cases, is more important than what TO do ;-)
> >
> > Jan
>
> Actually, I'm approaching a point where I think I could write a
> reasonable "how to" on this, especially after conquering the jack_fst
> thing finally. Not to diminish the importance and usefulness of LADSPA,
> I think to be able to use vst fx on a "live" box is important.
>
> I refer back to Austin Acton's "DAW on Mandrake" how to, written
> probably a couple of years ago...it was simple, understandable, and by
> golly...I'd have NEVER considered using Linux for audio If I had not
> stumbled on it in a monthly email sent out by MDK! He did not seem to be
> too proud of it but I sure as $hit thank him for putting it together!
>
> Subsequently, many crappy compiles, a few broken OS', mo' gray hair
> later, I have found your "how to" *pop* on the Google radar and help
> solve my audio woes more than once...
>
> I'll start laying out a format and see where it takes me.
>
> Cheers~

Want to poll the group on this...I'm ready to start taking a stab at
documenting this for others to use...

My question is this...how useful will it be in the big scheme of things?
I think Ive only read posts from like 2 or 3 other people that even
wanted to do this. Most seem to be creating music or recording it. I do
that to but not very much lately and thats not what this system is set
up for.

I would write it in the context of running on Mandrake as that is what
I've experienced.

Thoughts? Comments, input?

R~