Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 10:11:58 EEST

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 20:43, Erik Steffl wrote:
> LinuxMedia wrote:
> >> Y'know what? All it would take would be for one demo recorded someplace
> >> to generate a contract and people would be clamoring for linux audio.
> >

> > If you're talking about attracting people like *us*... Yes... But, if
> > you're talking about everyone else...
> >
> > "Hi... I'm "Joe WindowsUser'. I just installed Linux."
> >
> > App_X didn't have sound, so I googled for 3 hours. Apperently, I need to
> > run and "audio server" called "Jack". What's an "Audio Server"?
> >
> > I googled for three hours and found out how to use Jack.
> >
> > I must be forgetting something because it's still not working.
> >
> > After gigging all night, I still had time to google and find out that
> > there a group called "Linux Audio Users". They will help me.
> >
> > Got my answer to why Jack isn't working... It was confusing and took 3
> > hours to figure out. But now I can connect a mic and record some music.
> > But my keyboard doesn't work... What's wrong?
> >
> > I googled for 3 hours and found out I need to connect "virtual ports"
> > together. What the hell is a "virtual port".
> >
> > Linux Audio Users told me to use "KAConnect" to connect virtual ports.
> > But all I saw was stuff like 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'...
> > What the hell is 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'? I connected my
> > keyboard up the the midi port... where's my midi port in the list?
> >
> > The next day I got my answer... and everthing was connected up right.
> > But they tell me I have to "load the wavetabe". Let me send an email to
> > Linux Audio Users and see if they can tell me how to "load the wavetable".
> >
> > Is there anyone here that thinks we're ready for the "general public"?

{big belly laugh}...
I missed this earlier..it's been a big day on lau with this thread! And
I'm a bit slow/off/not right in the head! :}
What sux is that's pretty much what it has taken me to get to whatever
informed point I'm at. {and _that's_ not saying much.}

  no. but we are ready. which is a lot better then just a year ago. I
> mean the stuff you described above actually works! that's pretty
> amazing, I was waiting for this moment for years (well, not _this_
> moment but a moment few month go when I tried to setup recording and
> everything worked!)
>
> now let me go google some more on sb live and full-duplex :-) [that's
> not linux specific issue though, I think]

Anyone remember Winblows 3.0? It worked...really well for Solitare! And
there was NO ONE to ask if it didn't work! {hell...the internet hadn't
even been invented by Al Gore yet!! <shit eating grin goes here>} So
what you had worked..but it wasn't good for crap. Had little use in the
real utilitarian world.

Yes, there's much effort goes into learning/absorbing this stuff. But in
my experience there's ALWAYS a ~cost~ associated when someone else does
all your hard work for you. And you learn nothing about it in the
process. And furthermore, they DON'T WANT to tell you how it works so
they can glean more $$$ from your pocketbook!!

 Ergo, to define the point of my use of linux in the DAW world...I have
Sonar AND Cubase AND Emagic AND Acid Pro AND Win XP AND Pro tools and
lots of others of lesser notoriety...Most of them won't run for $hit on
a 266mHz Celeron...But Linux will. You won't master an album on it but
you will find a useful purpose for it in the audio world...even IF only
for elevator music! :) And even on my faster machines, the latency is
_NOT_ even close...nay...the same galaxy as Linux. <<----------Big
crescendo point here!! :)

In the 12 or so months I've been playing around with audio in Linux, the
"ramp up" seems to be on a logarithmic upward taper. It's like a cyclone
gathering speed and mass...more "freshmeat" joining, learning and
contributing to that mass...and little or none of it based on the
almighty dollar! It's done "just 'cause it oughta be". Linux is here for
all the right reasons IMO. And the audio stuff is really starting to
kick ASS..Or arse as I would say in my native homeland tongue! :)

It's tough but worth the sell. Stick around, enjoy the ride and DON'T
leave five seconds before the "miracle" happens! :)

R~