Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 18:08:08 EEST

John Check wrote:

>On Friday 13 August 2004 01:54 pm, Pete Bessman wrote:
>

>>Speaking for myself, the first thing I look for when checking out
>>music apps is music created with said apps. What does it sound like?
>>The linux-sound.org music page has only 24 entries, and I'm NOT
>>FLINGING MUD HERE (my own stuff sucks), but we're certainly not giving
>>any indication of the utility of our software with them. This is
>>because we have two many hackers and not enough UNIT-Es.
>>

>Oh, is _that_ what the "demos" link is? Thats what I thought at first,
>but it didn't seem like it when I started poking around.

No, the Demos category links to examples of a popular art form that
combines graphics, animations, and music into what is called a "demo".
You want the Linux Music On-line category in the soundapps pages.

I agree wholly with whoever mentioned that what we need is a "win" with
a major recording success. However, I also believe we'll get there. I've
heard enough nay-saying and bullsh*t over the last ten years to know
that the words "it'll never happen" are anathema to the Linux
development community. Give 'em the challenge and they make it happen.
Now for the hard part: preparing the way for normal users to start
working with this stuff until the user community reaches critical mass.
And in case anyone thinks it just can't happen with Linux audio
software, you should have been on the computer music scene in 1986 when
the Mac ruled the studios. Even the Atari and Amiga had more presence in
studios than the lowly Intel-based boxes. Plenty of statements were made
in the line of "Oh, the PC will never make it in pro studios, it's great
for spreadsheets and word processors, but not for serious music making".
Sound familiar ? My, how things do change...

So I'm confident it will happen, but I'm not so foolish to make any sort
of prediction. Obviously the issue of excellent user-level docos is
glaring at us, hence my original post of this thread. The issue also
obviously concerns many of us, and I hope these posts have inspired some
of you to make your own contributions.

Best regards,

dp