Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer
From: Austin (aacton_AT_yorku.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 20:59:00 EEST

On 08/22/2004 01:42:56 PM, Thomas Pickett wrote:
> I am currently installing gentoo onto my computer and I am having
> difficulty
> because I don't have much time to install. Should I just stick with
> gentoo
> and get the install done eventually or can you suggest a better linux
> dist.
> that is better?

If you're a beginner and/or have limited time, gentoo is a really *bad*
idea.

I'd suggest a binary-based distro, with an easy installer, and a
package manager with automatic dependency resolution. Mandrakelinux 10
+ contribs or + Thac's RPMS, or the combination of RedHat/Fedora +
Planet CCRMA packages would proabably be best.

Debian has a great package manager, but crappy installer. SuSe is vice
versa IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Austin