Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Human Interface Guidelines 0.01 (was Re: mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Audio Human Interface Guidelines 0.01 (was Re: mouse wheel behavior and RFC: human interface guidelines)
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 19:34:19 EEST

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 03:55:47PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:26:55 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 02:11:45PM +0100, tim hall wrote:
> > > Last Tuesday 24 August 2004 20:10, Lee Revell was like:
> >
> > Here's one that I suppose is non-controversial:
> >
> > Meters and Data Plots
> >
> > Vertical meters should be oriented such that upward movement represents
> > increase in the metered value and down represents decrease.
>
> Heh, non-controversial you say ;)
>
> One convention is that reduction meters got right to left (and presumably
> top to bottom, though I dont think I've never seen a vertical one).

GAH... I totally forgot about that. I just looked at my RNC and
you're right :-P It has an LED meter like so:

+----- gain reduction ------+
20 16 12 8 6 4 2 0

I could swear I remember seeing an old tube compressor that
had a gain reduction meter with "more" to the right, so it
moved in opposition to the corresponding VU meter.
No idea what model it was, and this was about 6 years ago
so I could be mistaken.

I wonder how consistent this is in the world of hardware?
maybe I'll pop a question on rec.audio.pro.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com