Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Setting up linux computer
From: Pedro Figueiredo (pedro.ml1_AT_clix.pt)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 20:53:48 EEST

On 26 Aug 2004 at 20:07, Robert Epprecht wrote:

> The case made me switch from AGNULA/DeMuDi
> to Planet CCRMA (Which are both excellent audio
> distributions BTW

I've been following this thread with great interest as I'm about to switch to linux too and I'm
trying to decide among A/Demudi and PlanetCCRMA. How would you compare these two?

Because I will be using a computer with no network access, I can't afford frequent updating and
patching. That's my biggest concern. Also, having played around with Debian 3.0 and Red Hat
8.0 (which I believe were released at about the same time) Red Hat seemed much prettier and
up to date. Unfortunately, it was running a bunch of servers and processes out of the box that I
never asked for (printers, send mail, drivers for all sort of hardware...). Debian seemed to allow
for better fine tuning and advanced configuration, which is a Good Thing as far as I'm
concerned. Is this still the case with the current versions on which A/Demudi and
PlanetCCRMA are based?

Thank you,
Pedro