Re: [linux-audio-user] CCRMA switching to FC2?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CCRMA switching to FC2?
From: Malcolm Baldridge (linux-audio_AT_paypc.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 03:58:53 EEST

> Checked this out real qwik...
>
> That's not a bad looking setup. Are you using it at present? What are
> it's advantages? Does it have a repository of it's own rpm's or can you
> install rpm's from other distro's? What about kernel packages, etc? Is
> the installer in need of a Masters in Comp science?

I've only just discovered it a few days ago, burned a copy, and installed it
onto a Compaq Presario 2103US of all things.

It went smoothly, and came up into an attractive GNOME-ish GUI which ran
*VERY* well despite the machine only having 256MB of RAM. Historically,
KDE/DeadRat feels more like M$ Windows XP in terms of bringing powerful
machines to their knees unless very amply configured. But I will concede
that my sensitivities to performance issues are probably more than most.
GUI/OS responsiveness rates extremely highly for me. The odd "lags" and
choppy scrolling and window-tearing during dragging of Mac OSX for example
disqualify it completely, though clearly lots of people don't mind it.

I have no horror stories yet.

If you can, give it a try.

=MB=

--