Re: [linux-audio-user] jack/alsa connection state

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] jack/alsa connection state
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2004 - 15:36:40 EEST

Hello,

qjackctl has a very good patchbay, where you can define input and output
ports and define how these should be connected. It handles both jack
ports and alsa sequencer ports.

The reason why seq24 isn't visible in aconnect or qjackctl is because
how seq24 was programmed.

There are (at least these) two ways of using the alsa sequencer api to
write sequencer data:
 1. Open a connection to an existing sequencer port and writing
    MIDI to that one.
 2. Create an output port for the process in question and write
    MIDI commands to that output port.

seq24 uses method 1. which leaves routing to the prorgam itself. IMHO,
the wrong way. The idea behind the sequencer ports is to let the user
patch his/her applications any way they like.

How about sending mail Mr. Buse (the author) to ask for a fix?

 Sampo Savolainen