Re: [linux-audio-user] 8-channel system

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] 8-channel system
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 21:28:42 EEST

On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 20:27, luis jure wrote:
> el Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:12:11 +0300
> Sampo Savolainen <v2_AT_iki.fi> escribió:
>
> hello, thanks for your suggestions.
>
> > If you need line inputs/outputs: the RME multiface.
>
> seems to be a good alternative, indeed. just to make sure, and for a correct
> estimation of costs, for the multiface you also need either a cardbus or pci
> interface, right?

That is very true.

> > If you need mic inputs:, a cheaper soundcard with ADAT I/O (RME
> > hdsp9652?) and getting a 8 channel mic preamp with adat outputs.
>
> no, in principle we don't need mic inputs, the system is essentially for
> reproduction, not recording. but if i understand the specs correctly, the
> HDSP 9652 together with the AEB8-O expansion board would give us what we
> want: 8 good quality analog outputs, right?

Yes. But, with a few considerations:
 * The AEB8-O has only 4 plugs, so the connections are unbalanced
 * The DA in the 9652 in inside the computer where with the multiface
   the DA (and the AD) is in the break out box.
 * You get no analog inputs with the 9652 (without another expansion
   board)

Of course, the 9652 and the AEB8-O is probably cheaper than the
multiface + pci/cardbus card.

Disclaimer: I own and use a multiface + PCI card with Linux, but I
haven't even seen a 9652.

> thanks again,

Good luck with the project.

  Sampo