[linux-audio-user] Kernel tweaking for low latency

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Kernel tweaking for low latency
From: Ben Sheron (ben_AT_whatsmykarma.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 04:48:29 EEST

Hello Everyone

I have used Linux for a couple years now, but have recently decided to
start using it for audio work. As a result, in terms of real
professional Linux audio, I am a newbie.

My current setup includes a dual AMD MP 2800 box with an M Audio Delta
44 sound card. I am running SuSE 9.1, and installed Jack and Ardour.
However, I need to get a low latency kernel going. Even when I run Jack
and Ardour as root, I still get a noticeable delay in the audio when I
try to record from a mic and monitor what I'm recording through one of
the outputs on my sound card.

So, how exactly do I go about optimizing a kernel for audio, especially
on SuSE? Does SuSE have a precompiled one available, or is it best to
just compile it on my own? I've Googled around a bit, and checked
SuSE's documentation on recompiling a kernel, but haven't had much
luck. The last time I tried recompiling a SuSE kernel I trashed the
whole system...

Thanks for any info, I can't wait to start getting into Ardour more...

Ben