Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung, a new music player for GNU/Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Aqualung, a new music player for GNU/Linux
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 00:23:23 EEST

Tom Szilagyi wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 02:58:12PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>
>>Tom Szilagyi wrote:
>>
>>>In addition to all this, Aqualung comes with a Music Store that is an
>>>XML-based music database, capable of storing various metadata about
>>>music on your computer (including, but not limited to, the names of
>>>artists, and the titles of records and tracks). This is much more
>>>efficient than the all-in-one Winamp/XMMS playlist.
>>
>> does it allow to edit mp3 info (tags)? (something close to easytag in
>>nature, maybe not that comlex)
>
> Not yet. It has its own system based on XML, independent of audio
> files. It may allow importing mp3 tag data in the future. But the
> system is not a one-for-one parallelism of what mp3 tags offer, so
> it's not trivial.
>

>> I'm looking for some player with reasonable playlist management (i.e.
>>not playlist based like xmms:-) something like what freeamp does (I like
>>freeamp interface but it was too unstable every time I tried to use it
>>for a longer period).
>

> Go ahead and see if it's good for you :)

   went ahead, it seems to play ok (I don't really care much for the
gaps or no gaps, I usually listen with random on, there's nothing like
toy dolls playing toccata in Dm followed by aram kchatchaturian's sabre
dance, actually over time I started to appreciate the tiny gaps between
the songs, however short they might be, you can see sanity trying to
sneak in... :-) but I can't seem to get anything useful out of the
metadata you mentioned, there is this window that opens where I can
manually add artist but that's about it. Is that part not finished?

   BTW as I wrote I liked the freeamp (and its MyMusic window) but it
was fairly unstable, now it was replaced by Zinf but it's still
unstable, I just installed it and it crashed once, got stuck in waiting
for something once... so there's definitely a spot open for a media
player that has a decent song/playlist management functionality...

        erik