Re: [linux-audio-user] RPMs for new Distro...Yoper Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RPMs for new Distro...Yoper Linux
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 23:46:03 EEST

On Thursday 09 September 2004 01:24 pm, noise floor wrote:
> --- Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan_AT_starband.net> wrote:
> > I have managed to build some RPM's for this new distro working with
> > one of their developers.
> >
> > www.yoper.com if your interested.
>
> I am very interested in trying, but I just recently finished a good
> install of Fedora Core 2 (after a bunch of bad CD burns), and am
> feeling slightly loath to do it all over again.
>
> What does it take to switch distributions? I'm pretty sure that I
> stuck /home on a seperate partition, so that's nice. I don't mind
> completely dumping FC2, but I want to make sure that I can pop in a new
> CD, format my non-/home partitions, install, and go.
>
> Thanks!

It would be nothing less than irresponsible to encourage you to drop FC2 and
potentially "The Planet" to try this out just yet. In alpha ratings...this
distro for audio is like...{what comes before the dawn of time...hmmm} not
even up to pre-alpha testing yet. I have sent a message to the head
developer and await his response / enthusiasm / support on the whole thing.

 Now the distro is pretty solid in terms of it's operation. It's only 1 iso
download which is nice. The main desktop is KDE and currently they have TWM,
FVWM and Xfce, although I have not been able to get Xfce working. Gnome is
there but has to be added and my attemps at apt-get for it have been no good.
It does not seem to install properly. This thing has been tuned for KDE 3.3
and it is snappy.

Albeit I might be a bit premature in announcing this as a potential distro, I
just mostly want to get a quick poll from who might show support so I can
report that fact back to the Yoper gurus.

R~