Re: [linux-audio-user] Wave file conversion (multi-mono->stereo, then downsample/downsize, then dither)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Wave file conversion (multi-mono->stereo, then downsample/downsize, then dither)
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 01:13:16 EEST

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:

> How would I be sure that my emerge of ecasound uses libsamplerate
> capabilities? Can this be observed at runtime? Or in the output files
> somehow? Anywhere else?

ldd `which ecasound` |grep libsamplerate

> Anyway, If I'm going to downsize from 24-bits to 16-bits then I want
> to add dithering, but I see no mention of dithering in man ecasound. I
> know jack has an option to dither it's outputs, but from some dark
> remote part of my memory I seem to remember that this only effects the
> output going to the sound card and not what's going to a file. Comments
> anyone?

Unfortunately no. Adding dithering has been on the todo-list for ages,
but still not implemented. :(

Also, Ecasound's 24bit is really 24bit, not the 24-in-32bit. This is
usually not a problem, just as long you are aware of it.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!