Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware: 44k?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Hardware: 44k?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 23:34:05 EEST

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 05:43:46AM +0400, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can any cheap PCI cards sample at 44k1 directly?
>
> I don't care much about the quality; vinyl does not gove me cool quality
> anyway. I could use an older card from the days when 44k1 was standard -
> but I don't have an ISA slot.

You probably want to avoid any that are AC97 compatible, if that's
possible. The AC97 spec requires that the cards be able to run at 48k
internally, which means that a lot of them will always run at 48k and
resample on input and output. I guess they saved a cent in components or
something.

I dont know wether they have to /only/ run at 48k internally, but many do.

FWIW the ens1371 cards can do 44.1k (eg. some soundblaster 128's), but I
dont know if thier still made.

- Steve